Even when you’re doing nothing at all, your backside is working overtime. All-day sitting can lead to tightness in your glute muscles, which is not only uncomfortable, but can also lead to more serious conditions like IT band issues, which can lead to knee injuries or lower back pain. Find relief with these glute stretches that open up tight hips, as well. Pair with this glute foam roller massage to further open up tight bum muscles.
Seated Spinal Twist
- Begin seated on your mat with your legs extended straight out in front of you.
- Bend your right knee and place your right heel as close to your left sit-bone as you can.
- Reach your right arm behind you, and plant your palm or fingertips on the floor. Place your left hand or elbow on your right knee or thigh, and gently pull your knee to the left until you feel the stretch in your glutes.
- Hold for 30 seconds, then release and straighten your legs again. Repeat on left side.
- Kneel on your mat, then bring your right leg behind you. Lean your torso forward, placing your forearms on the mat. Open your left knee outward to the left; your left ankle might need to slide forward so your pelvis can lower toward the floor.
- Bend your elbows to deepen your stretch.
- Hold for one minute, then switch legs.
- For a deeper stretch, try the full version of yoga’s Pigeon pose.
Seated Leg Cradle
- Sit on your mat cross-legged or with your feet touching each other. Lift up your left leg and hook your calf over your left arm. Grab onto your feet with your hands for support.
- Slowly lift up your left leg until you feel a stretch in your glutes and hips. You can gently rock your leg from side to side to move the stretch to different parts of the muscle.
- Hold for 30 seconds, then switch legs.
Supine Cow Stretch
- On your mat, lie on your back and cross your right knee over your left knee. Hug both knees toward your chest, making sure you keep a neutral back and neck.
- If you don’t feel a stretch, then work your hands down your legs, aiming for your ankles. Make sure you keep your head down.
- Hold here for 30 seconds to one minute, then uncross and repeat with your left knee over your right.
Source: POPSUGAR Studios
Powered by WPeMatico